January 26, 2009
My Guitar Man
I passed by this stall in SM Fairview that sells guitars and felt an instantaneous connection with the musician/salesman. I saw him, he saw me; either that or I really am a sucker for the Bohemian type.
The Rohingya Refugees
I watched a documentary in CNN on Myanmar’s Rohingya refugees ( although Myanmar wouldn’t grant them citizenship, they simply can’t pay the $200 citizenship fee demanded by corrupt officials). They tried to escape from their own country’s ethnic and religious prosecutions by seeking refuge in their neighboring countries only to be turned away to die at sea by the Thai military. One survivor said he was in one of six boats, and only his survived. Crowds gathered while he recounted his experience at sea with the little English he knew. But there was no need for words to understand what this man’s predicament was. Without a place to call home, it’s simple, he needs help that is basic to every human being: food, water, shelter, clothing, and above all, human compassion. Now why would the Thai military want to complicate things with illegal entry and worries of an influx of Rohingya refugees taking their land?
The Treasure Trove that is Booksale
I finally got myself copy of “Women Running with Wolves” by Clarissa Pinkola Estes= P80!
Mass Job Lay-Offs
I read several Philippine Daily Inquirer (PDI) articles on mass job lay-offs and realized 2009 is going to be one vulnerable year for everyone unless things turn around with the global recession. I don’t know if the country is having a delayed reaction to it or most likely it’s just me; but suddenly January’s news on mass terminations are everywhere, forced leaves, lay-offs mostly in the computer and garment sector are being broadcasted in the news. The US, being the world’s largest economy, is trickling down its losses and we are all on the receiving end.
I Owe it to the Bello Experience
I read in a PDI article that the World Economic Forum (WEF) is being held in Davos, Switzerland. Interestingly enough I saw a familiar name: Kishore Mahbubani (he is the Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore). I read some articles on his book “The New Asian Hemisphere” in my sociology class under Professor Walden Bello. It felt good to know that it’s not just Hollywood celebrities that I know a little about.
The Woman at Scents & Fragrances
I passed by the Scents & Fragrances stall in SM Fairview which I used to frequent, the saleslady still knows me after almost three years. She never fails to smile at me whenever I pass by, and so do I.
Girls & Masturbation
Question: Why aren’t there any active female participants in the Peyups thread on masturbation?
A Singles' Party this Valentine’s Month
My friend from college, Telle, sent me a personal message (PM) in Multiply about the single’s party we’ve been talking about since last year. It’s finally happening! Unfortunately, I can’t go. I have online classes with my Japanese students. Kill me now.
A Commercial-Free TV!
French president Nicolas Sarkozy wants state-own TV networks to be free from commercials. Now that’ll be interesting, I think I might even be in favor of it. What do commercials do anyway? Aside from feeding off vulnerable minds transforming people them into zombie consumerists, that is.
My Guitar Man
I passed by this stall in SM Fairview that sells guitars and felt an instantaneous connection with the musician/salesman. I saw him, he saw me; either that or I really am a sucker for the Bohemian type.
The Rohingya Refugees
I watched a documentary in CNN on Myanmar’s Rohingya refugees ( although Myanmar wouldn’t grant them citizenship, they simply can’t pay the $200 citizenship fee demanded by corrupt officials). They tried to escape from their own country’s ethnic and religious prosecutions by seeking refuge in their neighboring countries only to be turned away to die at sea by the Thai military. One survivor said he was in one of six boats, and only his survived. Crowds gathered while he recounted his experience at sea with the little English he knew. But there was no need for words to understand what this man’s predicament was. Without a place to call home, it’s simple, he needs help that is basic to every human being: food, water, shelter, clothing, and above all, human compassion. Now why would the Thai military want to complicate things with illegal entry and worries of an influx of Rohingya refugees taking their land?
The Treasure Trove that is Booksale
I finally got myself copy of “Women Running with Wolves” by Clarissa Pinkola Estes= P80!
Mass Job Lay-Offs
I read several Philippine Daily Inquirer (PDI) articles on mass job lay-offs and realized 2009 is going to be one vulnerable year for everyone unless things turn around with the global recession. I don’t know if the country is having a delayed reaction to it or most likely it’s just me; but suddenly January’s news on mass terminations are everywhere, forced leaves, lay-offs mostly in the computer and garment sector are being broadcasted in the news. The US, being the world’s largest economy, is trickling down its losses and we are all on the receiving end.
I Owe it to the Bello Experience
I read in a PDI article that the World Economic Forum (WEF) is being held in Davos, Switzerland. Interestingly enough I saw a familiar name: Kishore Mahbubani (he is the Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore). I read some articles on his book “The New Asian Hemisphere” in my sociology class under Professor Walden Bello. It felt good to know that it’s not just Hollywood celebrities that I know a little about.
The Woman at Scents & Fragrances
I passed by the Scents & Fragrances stall in SM Fairview which I used to frequent, the saleslady still knows me after almost three years. She never fails to smile at me whenever I pass by, and so do I.
Girls & Masturbation
Question: Why aren’t there any active female participants in the Peyups thread on masturbation?
A Singles' Party this Valentine’s Month
My friend from college, Telle, sent me a personal message (PM) in Multiply about the single’s party we’ve been talking about since last year. It’s finally happening! Unfortunately, I can’t go. I have online classes with my Japanese students. Kill me now.
A Commercial-Free TV!
French president Nicolas Sarkozy wants state-own TV networks to be free from commercials. Now that’ll be interesting, I think I might even be in favor of it. What do commercials do anyway? Aside from feeding off vulnerable minds transforming people them into zombie consumerists, that is.
No comments:
Post a Comment