Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Today's Extraordinary Things


















First Impression Lasts
I learned that being myself makes an even better impression than being someone I’m not.

The Voyeuristic Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is the only Hayao Miyazaki animation where its female protagonist, Nausicaa, gets her rear (boobs shots included) in focus for several seconds during the film. Coincidentally, this is one of the Hayao animations most awarded by Western award-giving bodies. Now that’s disturbing.

Dump-at-Sea Policy
The Thai military’s dump-at-sea policy on the Rohingya refugees shows just how far we’ve come up as top of the food chain in this world.

A Filipino Who Can’t Write in Filipino
Why can’t I write in Filipino? Do I subconsciously think I’m “better” that’s why I write in English most of the time? The burden of colonial mentality…

Filipino Taught as 2nd Language in New Zealand, Australia and Hawaii
I’ve never heard of this until I saw a thread in Peyups. Now it’ll be easier to migrate. Shameless.

Roland Tolentino’s Blog
I was eating at McDonald’s Banawe a few days ago and I was sitting right next to a glass wall. I wondered how space can be defined by a simple glass wall. Like someone eating a Mcburger and fries can feel like he’s worlds apart from a streetkid begging for food outside. And coincidentally, I stumbled upon my old professor in Film, Roland Tolentino, and his blog talking about a similar scene: McDonald’s and streetchildren. But of couse, his is a much more profound level of writing and understanding. That’s a given. (Hi, sir. Thanks for the recommendation letter - just in case, by some miracle of fate; you’d stumble upon my blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment