Friday, January 23, 2009

Today's Extraordinary Things



















January 23, 2009

Look, Ma, I Got a Star!
My statistics professor asked our class for a volunteer to compute for the z statistic and P-value on the board. Surprisingly, no one did (and here I was thinking graduate students were competitive). I was feeling low during that week and decided to step up my game. I raised my hand. After computing the z statistic and P-value correctly, the class was quiet and our professor continued with the lecture. I felt like a kid in gradeschool in need of praise from her teacher (who was I kidding right?). But then after class, my classmates told me how I was in a different zone back there and that I did good. Even gave me the thumbs up. Amazing how one thumb can “lift” a person. Even graduate students need a “star” at the back of their hands sometimes.

One (Really) Fine Day
I called my close friend after class to meet him. He was going to get his recommendation letter for graduate studies from his professor back in college. I went to the College of Education where he was staying, only to realize his professor was in the Faculty Center (FC). I was staying at Palma Hall’s (AS) even wing which was closer to FC. After I realized this, it began to rain. Walking from Educ to FC meant passing by two buildings = Palma Hall Annex (PHAN) and AS (again). By the time we got to PHAN, our jeans were soaked. He had to freshen up in the men’s room since he’s been waiting in Educ since morning. I let him borrow my kikay kit and decided to buy sweet corn at FC while I waited. When I came back, we headed for FC. We were descending the stairs when time suddenly stood still and I felt an impending doom - I was going to slip. And in a split-second, I did. Like an out-of-body experience, I saw my body slide down the steps and my legs were in a 180 degree angle to my body. I thought I looked like the girl in “The Exorcist.” For fear of broken bones, I decided not to move immediately. I felt my legs for bruises. To my relief and surprise, everything was intact; except for my sweet corn which was all over me and the stairs. So once, I made sure I was okay, I decided to buy another sweet corn. Never mind the stains on my clothes, I needed my three-times-a-week dose. When I asked the man selling sweet corn for another cup, he unwittingly played the jury and rendered the verdict to my series of unfortunate events, “Sold out na Ma’am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment