March 17, 2008
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Shame on me though for not knowing what today is about. All I know is it’s a big celebration here in Ireland and probably all over the world. They said there’s going to be a parade of some sort outside in the afternoon. Well it’s already afternoon and I don’t hear any joyous celebration outside. It must be in the town.
This weekend has been very busy, we’ve gone to Belfast City last Saturday and then to the Giant’s Causeway last Sunday. Let me fill you in. Saturday morning we drove to Belfast to go to the zoo and visit its old castle. Unfortunately during the two-hour drive, nature was calling and embarrassingly enough; I had to leave a “remembrance” in some American eating place along the M2 road. What a “success” story.
As a result of my dad’s stubbornness to get a SatNav, we ended up in Castlecourt in Belfast. We had lunch in its food court and I have to say it reminded me of the Ayala Malls back in the Philippines. Maps were useless and we had no choice but to head home when we left Castlecourt. Serendipitously, we saw the signage for the Belfast Zoo and the Belfast Castle. God really is merciful. My dad couldn’t help but laugh at how we got to the zoo. He thought it was amazing, we thought it was God’s way of showing pity on his humans. I told my dad we REALLY ought to get a SatNav from Argos on our way home.
Yahoo News Weather said there was going to be light showers, and so it rained; while we were at the zoo. It was a bad idea to go there despite the “light showers.” Most of the animals were inside their houses (not cages) and we only saw birds in their aviaries, reptiles, elephants and giraffes. The only highlights in the zoo were the sea lions and the rest room (LOL). The lights are automatic as if they have sensors and the room had a pleasant powder smell to it (seriously). We were freezing our butts off so we decided to go to the Belfast Castle. My mom and my kuya’s feet were already hurting, hell, we only decided to walk around longer because we had to make the most of our £24! (it was £6 per person).
The castle was beautiful outside but lame on the inside. It has obviously been renovated already with the chipped green walls. Too bad its only use now is for wedding receptions. I wouldn’t wanna get married there. Maybe if you’re Irish, sure.
We headed home but still got lost. I was prodding my dad for a SatNav every 30 minutes. Now I know where we got our stubbornness. Sunday was better because the weather was perfect. Yahoo News Weather said it was going to be partly cloudy but there couldn’t have been a more perfect day to go to the Giant’s Causeway. My kuya was a whiz. He configured my dad’s phone which had SatNav in it. How cool is that? We had a smooth ride on our way there and we even named the SatNav, Olga (named after my kuya’s Russian girlfriend, LOL – brilliant idea, mom).
The Giant’s Causeway was spectacular in every sense of the word. Nature had me intimidated with its rock formations and vast grass lands. I felt like I was on rock climbing 101. My mom and I got left behind by kuya and my dad, who despite his age seemed in his element, climbing rock formations. It was a bit scary really, I was always ten minutes behind them, fine, make it twenty, LOL.
My kuya was tempted to climb the higher rock formations – mountains really, but his trench coat wasn’t suited for climbing. We bought souvenirs and I bought a shamrock necklace to remind of the place. On our way home, Olga was flawless and we had a hassle-free ride home. Damn, I wish I could get a SatNav; but then again, it’ll be useless with the traffic in Manila.
We got home famished and thank God my little sister was in the mood to cook up her uber-sarap na pizza. I wish I took a picture before it got all gobbled up, LOL. She makes it from scratch kasi.
Today I woke up feeling like my butt was on the floor, I’ve been sleeping on an inflatable mattress but now it’s all deflated. I’m sure there’s a little hole in it somewhere. Too bad, I’m definitely gonna miss that bed.
My little sister and I went jogging (more like brisk walking) this morning in Roe Valley Country Park and I feel stupid for not going there before. It’s a big park with grass everywhere except for the path that people walk on. There were trees that lost their leaves to autumn, people who walk their dogs and playgrounds were filled with kids. This was the kind of park you only see in movies. And I was in it, except the movie star didn’t seat on a rock with poo on it. What’s with poo and me these days anyway?
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Shame on me though for not knowing what today is about. All I know is it’s a big celebration here in Ireland and probably all over the world. They said there’s going to be a parade of some sort outside in the afternoon. Well it’s already afternoon and I don’t hear any joyous celebration outside. It must be in the town.
This weekend has been very busy, we’ve gone to Belfast City last Saturday and then to the Giant’s Causeway last Sunday. Let me fill you in. Saturday morning we drove to Belfast to go to the zoo and visit its old castle. Unfortunately during the two-hour drive, nature was calling and embarrassingly enough; I had to leave a “remembrance” in some American eating place along the M2 road. What a “success” story.
As a result of my dad’s stubbornness to get a SatNav, we ended up in Castlecourt in Belfast. We had lunch in its food court and I have to say it reminded me of the Ayala Malls back in the Philippines. Maps were useless and we had no choice but to head home when we left Castlecourt. Serendipitously, we saw the signage for the Belfast Zoo and the Belfast Castle. God really is merciful. My dad couldn’t help but laugh at how we got to the zoo. He thought it was amazing, we thought it was God’s way of showing pity on his humans. I told my dad we REALLY ought to get a SatNav from Argos on our way home.
Yahoo News Weather said there was going to be light showers, and so it rained; while we were at the zoo. It was a bad idea to go there despite the “light showers.” Most of the animals were inside their houses (not cages) and we only saw birds in their aviaries, reptiles, elephants and giraffes. The only highlights in the zoo were the sea lions and the rest room (LOL). The lights are automatic as if they have sensors and the room had a pleasant powder smell to it (seriously). We were freezing our butts off so we decided to go to the Belfast Castle. My mom and my kuya’s feet were already hurting, hell, we only decided to walk around longer because we had to make the most of our £24! (it was £6 per person).
The castle was beautiful outside but lame on the inside. It has obviously been renovated already with the chipped green walls. Too bad its only use now is for wedding receptions. I wouldn’t wanna get married there. Maybe if you’re Irish, sure.
We headed home but still got lost. I was prodding my dad for a SatNav every 30 minutes. Now I know where we got our stubbornness. Sunday was better because the weather was perfect. Yahoo News Weather said it was going to be partly cloudy but there couldn’t have been a more perfect day to go to the Giant’s Causeway. My kuya was a whiz. He configured my dad’s phone which had SatNav in it. How cool is that? We had a smooth ride on our way there and we even named the SatNav, Olga (named after my kuya’s Russian girlfriend, LOL – brilliant idea, mom).
The Giant’s Causeway was spectacular in every sense of the word. Nature had me intimidated with its rock formations and vast grass lands. I felt like I was on rock climbing 101. My mom and I got left behind by kuya and my dad, who despite his age seemed in his element, climbing rock formations. It was a bit scary really, I was always ten minutes behind them, fine, make it twenty, LOL.
My kuya was tempted to climb the higher rock formations – mountains really, but his trench coat wasn’t suited for climbing. We bought souvenirs and I bought a shamrock necklace to remind of the place. On our way home, Olga was flawless and we had a hassle-free ride home. Damn, I wish I could get a SatNav; but then again, it’ll be useless with the traffic in Manila.
We got home famished and thank God my little sister was in the mood to cook up her uber-sarap na pizza. I wish I took a picture before it got all gobbled up, LOL. She makes it from scratch kasi.
Today I woke up feeling like my butt was on the floor, I’ve been sleeping on an inflatable mattress but now it’s all deflated. I’m sure there’s a little hole in it somewhere. Too bad, I’m definitely gonna miss that bed.
My little sister and I went jogging (more like brisk walking) this morning in Roe Valley Country Park and I feel stupid for not going there before. It’s a big park with grass everywhere except for the path that people walk on. There were trees that lost their leaves to autumn, people who walk their dogs and playgrounds were filled with kids. This was the kind of park you only see in movies. And I was in it, except the movie star didn’t seat on a rock with poo on it. What’s with poo and me these days anyway?
No comments:
Post a Comment