Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Today's Extraordinary Things



















February 4, 2009

Obama: "I Screwed Up!"
On his 15th day as president of the most powerful country in the world, Barack Obama admitted he made a mistake. Former US president George W. Bush, did the same; only after six years into his term. The media has highlighted how Obama has rendered himself as a “purist savior” for Americans in his presidential campaign, admitting to a screw up definitely does not help in this. However, the media was also quick to point out that showing his human side also helps give a sense of purity in his intentions and actions. US politics is getting more and more interesting these days.

Wake Up, the Matrix Has You
I got a text message from my brother that he wanted to resign from being a call center agent. It reminded me of the time when I was a Team Leader in a call center once and most agents I’ve known seemed to have uttered this at one point or another. Being in the corporate world sets you up in a rollercoaster ride. It gives you the highs on financial perks such as higher salaries, bonuses, allowances, company outings, new people, etc. and the lows on huge taxes, work bandwidth, overtime, same, old people, company rules, work hours, etc. Of course, no company is perfect; but how I wish the highs and the lows would cancel each other out and then produce meaning to add to the quality of life of a person. The highs and the lows should not define a job, it is what a person gets out of that job that should define it, people then would be able to make the best of themselves. Unfortunately, the corporate world is purposefully not flexible enough to give this kind of freedom to its burdened employees. And here lies the problem, here is where it begins and unfortunately, never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment