Deception
On my way home from school, I always ride the FX (SUVs turned public transportation) at the SM Fairview terminal. This means being a few feet away from entering the mall and whenever the jeep gets near my stop at the terminal, I always get this nagging thought of what to buy. In my mind, I would line up which stores I wanna go to and imagine what to buy for myself. Pathetic? Read on.
In the past weeks, I've gotten used to the routine of buying myself something relatively cheap, and it's usually food. My rationale: it's one thing I can consume without the hassles of fitting (unlike clothes or shoes), handling (carrying it on my way home), and necessity (eating is a necessity unlike new makeup). Since I'm on a "no red meat" diet for over a month now, one day, I decided to to eat at Sbarro's since I was craving for a pesto pasta. Unfortunately, there was none, so I just ordered their version of green salad. For P80, the salad looked good. But looking at it closely, there were only a bunch of elbow macaroni doused in mayo, a not-so-fresh lettuce leaf, and 1/4 slice of not-so-fresh tomato. I was not a happy customer.
After my disappointment with the supposedly green salad, I headed to the supermarket to buy a facial cleanser. For a time, I have been using Godiva products. They are mostly cheap compared to other skin care products and the fact that my sensitive skin did not have any allergic reactions to them made me swear by it. But it was too good to be true when I tried its Fruit Acid Cream, one of its most expensive products. I had break-outs all over and nothing I apply on my face would tone down my allergic reaction. I tried consulting a dermatologist but he prescribed me antibiotics worth P7++ for two weeks. I was asking for acne treatment not a cure for pneumonia so I dismissed another appointment with him. This left me no choice but to subject my skin to the the trial and error method, I bought the possibly "safest" soap in the skin care aisle - Ivory. Actually, I hesitated at first since there was no ingredient label. Shouldn't all products all have them? However, out of desperation, and fear of "more" harmful products like Maxipeel and Kojic soap, I bought the Ivory soap but with not so high hopes.
I tested the soap for three days and evidently, I had reason to look for the ingredient label. My rashes worsened. Friends recommended Celeteque, Cetaphil, Clean and Clear but I had allergic reactions to all of them as well. There was nothing "mild" about that soap. Another disappointment, but I guess I had that one coming.
The next days left me with no choice but to use my old Physiogel facial cleanser. It's made by Steifel and supposedly hypo-allergenic. My rashes still won't go away. Break outs are still on the loose.
Demise
I saw an old guy named Dr. Samuel Gruber patrolling the mangroves of Bimini in Bahamas in Natgeo's 21st Century Shark programme. You can see his frustration when he talked about The Bimini Bay Resort and Casino's proposal to convert the mangrove into a golf course. Mangroves for sharks are like nurseries for human beings. If the mangroves are destroyed, we shall see another species fall into extinction. Amazingly enough, the programme captured a pregnant shark unable to give birth on its own. Dr. Gruber, shark biologist, took on the role of a midwife and delivered five baby sharks. One can wonder how these golfers can sleep at night knowing that one day there won't be anymore nurseries for these sharks.
Disappointment
Deception and demise seem to be the current means to survive in the society that we live in. Where survival means being able to make a fool out of unknowing people and kill powerless creatures, be it directly or indirectly. It saddens me to think about how our failures have caught up with our accomplishments. We are doing a disservice to ourselves and to our planet, and we will continue to do so until we realize that we have gotten it all wrong.
This reminds of some songs written by Jon Foreman from the band called Switchfoot, some of the lyrics were "success is not equated to excess." Foreman also wrote about gravity and I would like to make explicit his concept by saying that if something as basic as gravity helps keep things "on the ground" to preserve the order of things, then it should also come as natural for people to be on equal footing and co-exist in a level playing field.
On my way home from school, I always ride the FX (SUVs turned public transportation) at the SM Fairview terminal. This means being a few feet away from entering the mall and whenever the jeep gets near my stop at the terminal, I always get this nagging thought of what to buy. In my mind, I would line up which stores I wanna go to and imagine what to buy for myself. Pathetic? Read on.
In the past weeks, I've gotten used to the routine of buying myself something relatively cheap, and it's usually food. My rationale: it's one thing I can consume without the hassles of fitting (unlike clothes or shoes), handling (carrying it on my way home), and necessity (eating is a necessity unlike new makeup). Since I'm on a "no red meat" diet for over a month now, one day, I decided to to eat at Sbarro's since I was craving for a pesto pasta. Unfortunately, there was none, so I just ordered their version of green salad. For P80, the salad looked good. But looking at it closely, there were only a bunch of elbow macaroni doused in mayo, a not-so-fresh lettuce leaf, and 1/4 slice of not-so-fresh tomato. I was not a happy customer.
After my disappointment with the supposedly green salad, I headed to the supermarket to buy a facial cleanser. For a time, I have been using Godiva products. They are mostly cheap compared to other skin care products and the fact that my sensitive skin did not have any allergic reactions to them made me swear by it. But it was too good to be true when I tried its Fruit Acid Cream, one of its most expensive products. I had break-outs all over and nothing I apply on my face would tone down my allergic reaction. I tried consulting a dermatologist but he prescribed me antibiotics worth P7++ for two weeks. I was asking for acne treatment not a cure for pneumonia so I dismissed another appointment with him. This left me no choice but to subject my skin to the the trial and error method, I bought the possibly "safest" soap in the skin care aisle - Ivory. Actually, I hesitated at first since there was no ingredient label. Shouldn't all products all have them? However, out of desperation, and fear of "more" harmful products like Maxipeel and Kojic soap, I bought the Ivory soap but with not so high hopes.
I tested the soap for three days and evidently, I had reason to look for the ingredient label. My rashes worsened. Friends recommended Celeteque, Cetaphil, Clean and Clear but I had allergic reactions to all of them as well. There was nothing "mild" about that soap. Another disappointment, but I guess I had that one coming.
The next days left me with no choice but to use my old Physiogel facial cleanser. It's made by Steifel and supposedly hypo-allergenic. My rashes still won't go away. Break outs are still on the loose.
Demise
I saw an old guy named Dr. Samuel Gruber patrolling the mangroves of Bimini in Bahamas in Natgeo's 21st Century Shark programme. You can see his frustration when he talked about The Bimini Bay Resort and Casino's proposal to convert the mangrove into a golf course. Mangroves for sharks are like nurseries for human beings. If the mangroves are destroyed, we shall see another species fall into extinction. Amazingly enough, the programme captured a pregnant shark unable to give birth on its own. Dr. Gruber, shark biologist, took on the role of a midwife and delivered five baby sharks. One can wonder how these golfers can sleep at night knowing that one day there won't be anymore nurseries for these sharks.
Disappointment
Deception and demise seem to be the current means to survive in the society that we live in. Where survival means being able to make a fool out of unknowing people and kill powerless creatures, be it directly or indirectly. It saddens me to think about how our failures have caught up with our accomplishments. We are doing a disservice to ourselves and to our planet, and we will continue to do so until we realize that we have gotten it all wrong.
This reminds of some songs written by Jon Foreman from the band called Switchfoot, some of the lyrics were "success is not equated to excess." Foreman also wrote about gravity and I would like to make explicit his concept by saying that if something as basic as gravity helps keep things "on the ground" to preserve the order of things, then it should also come as natural for people to be on equal footing and co-exist in a level playing field.
No comments:
Post a Comment