In the Reader’s Digest July 2008 edition, I read about a certain Dr. Q who worked his way in the US as a tomato-picking migrant to become a US citizen neurosurgeon and he did all this in ten years. A very remarkable and impressive read. Reader’s Digest never fails to capture my interest and amazement. But the article made me think about my dad. His story was the opposite of Dr. Q’s since he was a doctor and chief medical officer who became a factory worker in two years as he worked his way in the UK.
If Dr. Q’s story is an inspiration, I beg to differ that my dad’s plight does not have the same remarkable lessons; even if his journey didn’t involve being given the title of a doctor in another country. Same as my mom who started out as a caregiver and finally become a nurse after two years. She was a registered nurse here in the Philippines and a supervisor in a community health center.
The truth is, there is no difference between these two doctors. Both should be proud regardless of the titles they hold now. I will always be proud of my parents, thankful of the sacrifices they have made.
I miss them. Where was the time when living together meant everything instead of living off different currency rates?
If Dr. Q’s story is an inspiration, I beg to differ that my dad’s plight does not have the same remarkable lessons; even if his journey didn’t involve being given the title of a doctor in another country. Same as my mom who started out as a caregiver and finally become a nurse after two years. She was a registered nurse here in the Philippines and a supervisor in a community health center.
The truth is, there is no difference between these two doctors. Both should be proud regardless of the titles they hold now. I will always be proud of my parents, thankful of the sacrifices they have made.
I miss them. Where was the time when living together meant everything instead of living off different currency rates?
No comments:
Post a Comment