2D animation brings back my childhood memories. But it’s only been lately that I have been introduced to the world of animation of Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki and I must say, I want some more! They are two of the most influential Japanese in the animation world.
I got to watch “The Grave of the Fireflies,” “Spirited Away,” “Howl’s Moving Castle,” “My Neighbor Totoro,” and “Princess Mononoke.” All are brilliant. Beautiful animation. Captivating storytelling.
It’s also interesting how recurring themes in these animations somewhat have a stark contrast to to their western counterparts. The protagonists are female but their characters are not defined by theirs “dreams of meeting a prince and live happily ever after.” They are family/friends-oriented. They have a strong affinity with nature. They are not depicted with dainty hands and toes and pastel-colored costumes to match. Both artists (Takahata and Miyazaki) are described to be feminists themselves.
I’m the type of person who would always look at the lyrics (in a song) or script (in a movie). But this is a first for me, in their animations, the pictures are moving enough that there is no need for big words or flowery lines. The animations are in 2D and yet they are still at par with today’s high tech computer generated 3D animations. I dare say, even better.
Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata are on my list for people I want to meet before I die.
I got to watch “The Grave of the Fireflies,” “Spirited Away,” “Howl’s Moving Castle,” “My Neighbor Totoro,” and “Princess Mononoke.” All are brilliant. Beautiful animation. Captivating storytelling.
It’s also interesting how recurring themes in these animations somewhat have a stark contrast to to their western counterparts. The protagonists are female but their characters are not defined by theirs “dreams of meeting a prince and live happily ever after.” They are family/friends-oriented. They have a strong affinity with nature. They are not depicted with dainty hands and toes and pastel-colored costumes to match. Both artists (Takahata and Miyazaki) are described to be feminists themselves.
I’m the type of person who would always look at the lyrics (in a song) or script (in a movie). But this is a first for me, in their animations, the pictures are moving enough that there is no need for big words or flowery lines. The animations are in 2D and yet they are still at par with today’s high tech computer generated 3D animations. I dare say, even better.
Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata are on my list for people I want to meet before I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment