This week I got to watch the movie that our tutor Ann McKay told us about, “Once.” It was an Irish movie that made it big in the US and it was shown around 2006. I was embarrassed to tell her that I got to see it after downloading it over the internet (shame on me, I guess it was just a Pinoy thing to do - piracy).
I recall her telling the class about the movie, its cast and the soundtrack; and how it won best original score in the Oscars. I must say I’ve never heard of it back in the Philippines, maybe because it wasn’t released there back then, which is a shame i think. It was a simple movie, pure and heart felt. My favourite part would have to be when Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (the lead actors) sang the film’s theme song for the first time in a music store. The song just sounded so pure, it talked about hope; and it’s called “Falling Slowly.” Incidentally, Glen, who’s Irish, belonged to a band called “The Frames.” Marketa is Czech and has a purity (I just can’t use this word enough to describe the film) that she exudes effortlessly.
Our tutor showed the class their acceptance speech in the Oscars and I think it’s just inspiring. Here are some excerpts:
Marketa: “Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we’re standing here tonight, the fact that we’re able to hold this, it’s just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it’s possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don’t give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along the way. Thank you.”
Glen: “…This is amazing. Make art. Make art. Thanks.”
Glen couldn’t have said it any better. God bless them.
I recall her telling the class about the movie, its cast and the soundtrack; and how it won best original score in the Oscars. I must say I’ve never heard of it back in the Philippines, maybe because it wasn’t released there back then, which is a shame i think. It was a simple movie, pure and heart felt. My favourite part would have to be when Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (the lead actors) sang the film’s theme song for the first time in a music store. The song just sounded so pure, it talked about hope; and it’s called “Falling Slowly.” Incidentally, Glen, who’s Irish, belonged to a band called “The Frames.” Marketa is Czech and has a purity (I just can’t use this word enough to describe the film) that she exudes effortlessly.
Our tutor showed the class their acceptance speech in the Oscars and I think it’s just inspiring. Here are some excerpts:
Marketa: “Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we’re standing here tonight, the fact that we’re able to hold this, it’s just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it’s possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don’t give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along the way. Thank you.”
Glen: “…This is amazing. Make art. Make art. Thanks.”
Glen couldn’t have said it any better. God bless them.
No comments:
Post a Comment